The Underwood Institute is involved with an irregular research retreat, the Yelverton Sessions. Like many retreats, it involves both sustained time devoted to advancing research as well as visiting cultural or natural heritage sites for inspiration, reflection, and learning, usually held in conjunction with an academic conference. The Yelverton Sessions derives its name from the third meeting, in Devon, England, and is invite-only.
- Yelverton Seven, Santa Cruz California (CSCW 2016).
- Yelverton Six, Austin Texas (2016).
- Yelverton Five, Hong Kong (WUN Understanding Global Digital Cultures 2015).
- Yelverton Four, Bainbridge Washington (ICA 2014).
- Yelverton Three, Devon England (ICA 2013).
- Yelverton Two, Flagstaff Arizona and The Grand Canyon (ICA 2012).
- Yelverton One, Bangor Maine and Fredericton Canada (ICA 2011).